When I was first diagnosed with an egg intolerance a few years back, it only took a quick glance at the laundry list of items to avoid before I started to dread my future with food. I was very new to "this health thing", and I was certain that I was in for an uphill battle.
The truth is, I actually enjoy cooking more because of my intolerance. I love trying new things in an attempt to feed myself the most healthful option for my particular needs. Of course, I won't pretend that chocolate chip cookies are the most healthful food option known to man. However, I wholeheartedly believe that any cookie I can enjoy without a massive stomach ache or impending inflammatory response that actually tastes good, is worth sharing.
In my opinion, the best gluten-free flourless chocolate chip cookies are made at the Whole Foods Bakery in Tigard, Oregon. Random, I know, but they really are phenomenal. They're crispy exterior and delightfully gooey interior is the stuff of my daydreams. They have substance and weight without being dry or dense. They're perfect, just as any self-respecting cookie should be.
Alas, since a drive to Tigard is rarely a rational option every time I crave a cookie, I decided to try my hand at making them at home. I didn't have the recipe (because that's obviously proprietary information), but I did have access to the ingredient list. I jotted it down and then used an old recipe from a former colleague as my starting point. A few adjustments and substitutions later, I now have a yummy cookie I can enjoy at home!
simple candied pecan CHOCOLATE chunk COOKIES
gluten-free • vegan • egg-free • potato-free
This recipe contains soy and nuts. Always check ingredient product labels before proceeding.
Prep: 30 minutes • Baking: 15 minutes • Yield: 13 cookies (a baker's dozen!)
Candied Pecans 1
- 1/3 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon organic grade B maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
Gluten-Free Flour Blend
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp guar gum
- 1/2 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup organic unrefined virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons chocolate cashew milk
- 3 tablespoons organic grade B maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free organic fair trade vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan dark chocolate baking chunks 2
MIS EN PLACE
- 1 cutting board
- 1 chef's knife
- 1 small bowl
- 1 measuring spoon set
- 1 silicone spatula
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 measuring cup set
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 sheet of parchment paper
- 1 large baking sheet
- 1 cookie scoop
- 1 metal spatula
- 1 cooling rack
1 Omit candied pecans for a delicious vegan, gluten-, potato- AND nut-free treat!
2 I use Whole Food's 365 Everyday Value® Dark Chocolate Baking Chunks. Contains soy.
- Add pecans, maple syrup, and sea salt to a small mixing bowl.
- Lightly toss with a spoon or rubber spatula and set aside.
Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add brown rice flour, sorghum flour, arrowroot starch, tapioca flour, cornstarch, and guar gum.
- To the same bowl, add coconut sugar, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Use your fingers to gently mix the dry ingredients until well combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add coconut oil, chocolate cashew milk, and maple syrup.
- Add the wet ingredients from the medium mixing bowl to the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl.
- Add candied pecans and chocolate chunks. Mix with silicone spatula until well-combined.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper on a large cookie sheet.
- Using a cookie scoop, place cookie dough in evenly spaced small mounds on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the bottom of each cookie has developed a well-established foot.
- Using a metal spatula, transfer cookies to cooling rack and enjoy once cool!
This recipe was adapted, in part, from:
- an old recipe from a former colleague (source unknown)
- Whole Foods Greenway's Vegan Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookie (link to ingredient list unavailable)
- Blackbird Bakery's Chocolate Chip Cookies printed in Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free: 75 Recipes for Irresistible Gluten-Free Desserts and Pastries Cookbook
- Minimalist Baker's DIY Gluten-Free Flour Blend
- Minimalist Baker's 1-Bowl Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookie printed in Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking Cookbook